These are the shirts I made as samples with my “new” batik technique:
reverse stencil frog stencilled monkey
I wanted the kids to be able to use their Tribe color and animal-mascot on the shirts, so I really was hoping to do batik, but since I use soy wax, and my regular method has the shirts in the dye bath for less than an hour and I didn’t want to handwash the shirts at camp, I needed something with lower water immersion levels so I could wash them in a few hours when I got home to my machine.
I suspected that spraying the dye on (already mixed with the soda ash activator) would be a good idea–less eating away at the soy wax resist.
For the frog (green), I did a reverse stencil. I cut out the frog shape with contact paper and and stuck that on the shirt. Then I splattered soy wax all around (making that puddley shape), and when it was hard I removed the contact paper from the frog and sprayed the shirt with mixed procion dye & activator solution. Bagged it up and left it for about 4 hours and then washed it out.
For the monkey (red), I used my regular stencil method, but I sprayed on the activated dye rather than putting the shirt in a bucketful of dye solution.
When I did it with the kids they didn’t turn out QUITE so well, but they were all new at it and it was HOT outside. I think the wax “ran” too much. Some of them came out nice, though. 🙂
And an update on my Etsy shop: